Title Image

Recruitment FAQs

Recruitment FAQs

As the post is advertised as term-time only, will I get paid during the holidays?
All salaries are paid equally over twelve months.
The salary range is advertised as ‘pro-rata’ what does this mean?
The salary range advertised would be the annual full-time equivalent amount, i.e. based on working 52 weeks per year, 37 hours per week. The actual salary is calculated on the actual number of weeks and hours worked (e.g. 39 weeks, 30 hours per week) and includes any holiday entitlement.
What would my hours be?
The usual hours for Learning Support Assistant would be 30 hours
The usual hours for a Senior Learning Support Assistant would be 37 hours
The working hours required for any posts would be detailed in our vacancy adverts.
Do I need qualifications?
This depends on the job role you are applying for. Please see the person specifications for further details of ‘Essential’ and ‘Desirable’ qualifications, training and skills needed for individual posts. As well as essential qualifications for certain posts, a willingness to learn, passion, motivation and common sense are all necessary and invaluable assets to have.
Are any pre-employment checks carried out?
Yes. The Vale Federation of Schools is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff, workers and volunteers to share this commitment. The successful candidate will be required to provide suitable references and undergo an Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Check. All our employees are expected to complete a standard online employment health screening questionnaire.
Is there an induction programme?
Yes, we operate a comprehensive induction programme for all members of staff, volunteers and work experience students.
What sort of jobs exist within The Vale Federation?
Class Teachers
Senior Learning Support Assistants
Learning Support Assistants
Admin Staff
After School Club Play Leaders and Playworkers
Kitchen Staff
Site Staff
What experience do I need?
The person specification relevant to each job role gives information regarding any essential or desirable experience required. You may find it helpful to look at these as you could meet some of the criteria.
Can you help me to gain experience of working in a school?
We offer work experience placements for students and also have opportunities for classroom and admin volunteers. Please see our Work Placements or Volunteers page for further information or alternatively contact Sue Haywood, Office Manager.
Would I be able to access any training?
There are a number of training courses that are statutory and staff would be expected to attend depending on their job role, i.e. Safeguarding, Paediatric Manual Handling, General Services. Staff would be alerted to any relevant training courses available. We encourage Continued Professional Development amongst all staff in order that we maintain our expertise and we aim for at least 50% of our learning support staff to be NVQ Level 3 or equivalent and for staff to become lifelong learners.
Do I have to wear a uniform?
Staff uniform of polo shirts and fleeces in the school colours are available to buy. However, this is optional but our dress code must be followed.
What evidence of qualifications would you need to see?
If you were invited to an Interview we would ask you to bring in original certificates pertaining to your educational and/or professional qualifications, including GSCE Maths, English and Science (Grade C or above or equivalent).
What are the age ranges of the children within the Vale Federation?
Booker Park School caters for children from Nursery to Year 6, Stocklake Park is a school meeting the needs of secondary age students (Years 7-11) and Harding House Sixth Form is for students aged 16-19.
How many children and adults are in each class?
The number of children and adults varies depending on the needs of the children in each class. There is always one teacher, one senior learning support assistant and at least one learning support assistant depending on the needs of the children in the class.
Are there canteen facilities?
There is a designated staffroom at all three locations in which there is a kettle, toaster, microwave and drinking water system.   Staff can also bring in a packed lunch which can be kept in the fridge. Tea, coffee, milk and sugar are provided for staff.
Staff can purchase a hot meal or choice of baguettes (whole baguette or meal deal including half baguette, crisps and a drink carton) which will be provided by our Chef.
Is there a staff car park?
There is parking available at all three locations. However, the spaces are also used for visitors so can fill up quickly.
Can I visit the schools?
If you are interested in applying for a vacancy, we actively encourage visits to the schools within the Vale Federation. Experience has shown us that it is very beneficial for prospective employees to have a tour of the school to get a feel for the environment that you are applying to work in.   You will also get to see the children who have a wide range of special educational needs.  Please contact each site directly to arrange a convenient time and date for your visit.
Are there any benefits to working at The Vale Federation?
In conjunction with Bucks County Council there are various benefits that our staff can enjoy. These range from help with travel costs, childcare vouchers and nursery discounts, leisure centre discounts, KARRP benefits. Details are given to employees during their induction.
Is there a holiday entitlement?
The holiday entitlement is calculated depending on your pay range, years of service and how many weeks your contract is based on. The salary range quoted in our advert will include your holiday entitlement.